Friday 14 August 2020

Flames 12: Wargaming Flames of War in 12mm

 



Fairly limited in range as yet, they promise great things, including infantry at some stage.


I'm not sure how I'm going to use these though. Straight transfer to down scaled Flames of War;  Rommel operational level rules; or Two Fat Lardies forthcoming operational level rules O Group? Really not sure yet! So last night, having rush painted a dozen Cromwells and half a dozen Panthers, I thought I'd see how I got on with a Flames of War scenario...



Given that these are much smaller than their 15mm brethren,


I had to adjust the distance scale of the FOW rules. At first I thought that halving everything would be easy, but for some reason it didn't look right, so I reduced everything by two thirds, excepting artillery impact zones and orders ranges, in the interest of photogenic dispersion.


That would still make my 6 x 4 foot game mat a relative 9 x 6 footprint - pretty grandiose!


I though that putting up 1140 points of Cromwell's up against 1120 points of Panthers in a No Retreat scenario would provide a balanced game - how wrong I was! The Cromwell squadron made full use of the space available to concentrate on a covered approach up the middle and a detached troop heading for the secondary, distant objective.

Playing in this scale certainly allowed more scope for tactical approaches and seemed to look the part. 

The Cromwell squadron seemed to take an age to eventually reach the wooded area to set up for the rush onto the near objective - playing in this scale has its drawbacks too! As soon as they reached the edge of cover, the Germans sprang one platoon of Panthers that were in ambush on the brush covered banks of the stream. 

The initial salvo wasn't too bad, but the second and third salvos were decisive. One remaining troop of Cromwell's felt that a bold dash for the objective, with the aim of getting behind the Panthers, was the only hope for survival, but further casualties ended that plan. 



The same tactic of racing heedlessly over on the hillside was initially impeded by problems crossing the stream, but once the reinforcement Panther platoon was up...


and had found the range, proved equally ill-advised!


A resounding defeat for the Cromwell Squadron within 4 moves. However, they may do better with the full all arms mix of infantry and artillery once these are released - and a handful of Fireflies or Challengers wouldn't hurt either!


I look forward to the opportunity to test that theory - but not to painting the infantry in this scale! However, once they produce T-34s and the like, I imagine this scale will come into its own when trying to recreate actions on the rolling steppes out East!

13 comments:

  1. The vehicles look accurately proportioned & the scale lends itself to tactical innovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Steve - yes they are nicely proportioned and they do leave you with plenty of space on the table.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the first post of these figures being used in the real world. Your painting is lovely. I tend to game at a slightly lower level, needing just 2 or 3 of each model type, so having to buy in sixes is not ideal for me, especially once we get away from the mainstream vehicles (PzIV / Sherman / T-34 type tanks) and onto the Hetzer / Puma type vehicles. I like the scale, but the buying route doesn't help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. Yes thats a good point - particularly for SPGs also I suspect. That said, there are plenty of other manufacturers in this scale selling individual units - Dragon and Takara to name but two.

      Delete
  3. Sparker - with a huge collection in 15mm WW2 kit, I'm really trying to resist the urge to start fielding 10mm WW2 forces but your post isn't making that easy! Not buying the PSC 10mm NORTHAG minis was difficult enough!

    I think 10mm is really the perfect size for WW2 and Modern gaming.

    Great post as usual and the tanks look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much mate for your kind comments! Yes I have a fair bit of 15mm kit too so I'm on your wavelength - for me I think its the Desert and Eastern Front where the smaller scales will come into their own...

      Delete
  4. G'Day Ralph, so you did bite the bullet and go for 12mm - well done mate! I can see lots of enjoyable large tank battles in the future. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - just dipped my toe in for now - the real decider will be how the infantry and guns build and paint up. But yes, looking forward to going large!

      Delete
  5. These new kits are pretty great looking, but what really impressed me was the painting guides that they produced... lovely work, and very detailed for these tiny models! (and perhaps more suited to 15mm or larger than for massed tank battles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are pretty good - but - don't take my word for it! - these models will take a lot of detailing if you aren't in a hurry like I was!

      Delete
  6. Nice looking vehicles and board. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to when the range expands as I want to do some ‘what if’ late war Soviet v British in a WW3 scenario, may be with the odd bit of repurposed German kit on each side....

    ReplyDelete