Friday 22 January 2021

Bolt Action - 1940 La France avance!

Somewhere in France, 1940...The crossroads are the objective.

Rather than a blow by blow batrep of this painful but somehow enjoyable game, this post is more of an extended excuse as to why I lost so this game so massively.

My hastily pointed force - I had to take some Landsers along for form's sake...

Given the dread lurgy that stalks the land, it was my first non solo game for a while, but then again that's the same for everyone!

There's no such thing as too many tanks!

I could also blame my inexperience with using infantry in Bolt Action - I am a Tank War man through and through...

My pride and joy! or a white elephant?

I also don't spend much time list wrangling or trying to balance my force - so long as its historically feasible, features lots of tanks and big guns, then I'm happy!

Ian's French force - nicely balanced and well thought out...

With no tractor for the 88 (D'Oh!) Ian let me set it up on the baseline, commanding the crossroads

Yes let's go with that one - I had an imbalanced force whereas Ian's French where a judicious mix of infantry, armour, and indirect fire support. His sniper team was a damn nuisance too.

Ian's French advance stealthily but systematically...

Of course his better tactics might have had a little to do with it...

Whereas my Panzers charge in onto the objective...

Working as a team of course!

While the tiny R35 keeps my 38s busy...

The Somua with its massive 47mm is creeping into position...

But the Renault pips it to the punch - first blood!

And its all downhill from here for the Germans...

My single infantry section draws fire from across the table...

Before the tough Colonial troops get too close, the remaining Germans beat a hasty retreat...

Thanks Ian for a great game! A rare treat in these difficult times.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking game Sparker, lovely table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, your kind comment much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Sparker,
    Very nice. It's not often that I see early war WWII at that scale. Lovely all around.
    Neil

    https://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, very kind - no its something of a niche area, unfortunately...be interesting to see if the imminent release of hard plastic WW1/2 French infantry will see a resurgence of interest!

      Delete
  3. Great models and terrain Gents. Nothing beats the look of an early war tank, rivets and all! Better luck next time Sparker!

    Cheers
    Caesar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking game. That 88 and crew is a most impressive piece!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James - yes, it wasn't much use but it looked good!

      Delete
  5. Super game and AAR. Lovely gear and terrain, smashing!

    ReplyDelete