Friday 26 February 2021

Flames of War - Bagration: Swinging the Sickle



Last night at the uni Colin and I played one of the Bagration scenarios Swinging the Sickle. This is a fascinating scenario which to my mind really reflects the sort of actions which characterised the Operation BAGRATION actions in Byelorussia on that fateful summer of '44.

This is a dynamic scenario whereby the objectives disappear over time, Obj. 1 after 3 moves, Obj. 2 after 5, to encourage mobility and aggression, and the defenders forces have to start withdrawing after move 2.

As usual with our evening games, we were each restricted to 70 points, no Air, no AA. I took along two small T-34-85 companies, a hero SMG company, and a 122mm arty battery and observer. Colin brought...well, we'll go into what Colin brought along later, when I need to marshal my excuses for my inevitable interview with the NKVD...


Not having a BA-64 armoured car for my arty observer, I improvised and adapted...Having a point to spare, I also bought the Bagration Soviet Command Card Maskirovka - which allows you to move your opponents pre planned arty marker...unfortunately, Colin didn't bother bringing any arty...the plan had started to unravel already and we hadn't even made contact with the enemy yet...


The table was agreed virtually with Colin prior to the game, to save a little time - well, in the event the game was over so quickly we could have taken our sweet time setting up! I tried to provide plenty of both tall and short cover, and a dominating hill - and it did...


So what did Colin bring for his 70 points? Well, he brought an Elephant! Some other stuff as well, but definitely I remember an Elephant. An Elephant with a 48 inch range, and A/T penetration of 17! And of course he plonked it down on the top of the dominating hill...Did I mention the Elephant? I pointed out that deploying right on top of the hill counted as being in the open, and he laughed at me and pointed out its frontal armour was 16...'nuff said!


The German perspective shown above. Note the Elephant on the hill, and some other stuff...


The T-34s duly made use of all available cover to advance...


And the Red God of War rained down 122mm sized packages of severe prejudice on the lighter German other stuff...


Not without effect...


The infantry snuck up on the village, ever closer to the first objective.


The Elephant started to find the range...


The Tridsat'chetyres opened up on the Stugs...


But this only seemed to goad the Elephant to greater fury...once all my armour had been brewed or bailed, I conceded after turn 3...

Real world: Guards Lieutenant Vasily Sarafonov and crew - thank you for your Service and sacrifice gentlemen.

My force had done all that it could, but nobody said nuthin' about locking horns with no Elephants...it was a wasted trip, Baby!

4 comments:

  1. Great report Sparker, it is a great scenario and well thought out....Elephant dominating a hill who would of thought!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Yes could have been an Italian setting!

      Delete
  2. An awesome batrep Sparker, even if it was over by turn 3! The scenario looks fun, too. Lots going on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - yes it was fun, and definitely worth a revisit!

      Delete