Tuesday 18 May 2021

IPMS NSW Scale Modeller's Show 2021

This weekend the Illawarra Plastic Modellers Association invited the Wollongong Wargamers to attend the annual IPMS NSW Scale Modeller's Show. We had a large and 'small' table for each day. Saturday on the large table was a big game of Lasalle 2 - more on this anon... 

On the smaller table Alan and Catherine were offering either a Gladiator's game, 


or a Galleys and Galleons game for those eager to escape to sea...


And on the Sunday it was Black Seas on the small table, above, and Bolt Action set in the Western Desert on the large table, run by Ian and Theo. All participation/demo games...


But for the purposes of this blog post, I'd like to share my take on the amazing models that were on display. A random and catholic selection that unashamedly reflect my interests, but that may be useful for reference purposes...so indulge me I beg...

Check out the AusCam on this baby!

I'm currently painting up some Magachs for Fate of A Nation, so these were timely...

Can never get enough of the Berlin Brigade scheme - markings aren't 100% but can't fault the paintwork!

1/6th scale Tornado, all done through 3D printing. I didn't mention the issue with the matt nose cone - and the proportions don't seem quite right either - but full marks for going it large!


I do love Skyhawks!


Just amazing paintwork on this Phantom! Colin kindly gave me a pair of these in 1/144th scale - dare I try to emulate this scheme?

Love Shack Baby!

Interesting 'what-if' on the putative Kreigsmarine CVS - not really necessary for a 'Guerre de Course' fleet though...

Poor old 'Shiny Sheff' - too many good men lost...LWF!

I was absolutely captivated by the lovely Pola...

Handy reference material...

Love the prop effect on this RAAF Spit...

Not entirely sure what this lovely machine is but a useful generic IJN scheme for my 1/300th models I'm going to use for VAS...

Lots of USN belles on display - not surprising given our proximity to HARS!

Bit of Mickey Mouse cam scheme reference...


Love the desert scheme in evidence here.


I don't think I spend enough effort on stowage - but this is above and beyond!


I didn't choose the StUG life - I was conscripted by the Wehrmacht...

Don't fancy the Loader's job on a Tiger II...

Nice understated markings - unusual...

Here we have the revisionist view of the Caunter Scheme - not enough blue for me but very well executed.

Marder IIs are my next Bolt Action project so if I can come close to this level of excellence...


Gotta have a Tiger or two...although this one looks to have been abandoned owing to mechanical issues - happened once or twice....


One careful lady driver....


And there you have it - a mere selection of modelling loveliness on display...Normal service will be resumed with my next blog - Lasalle 2 action at Laichling, 1809...

14 comments:

  1. Great examples of modeling. Good idea for references in future projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - yes - at least I'll know where to look...

      Delete
  2. After driving from the Kuwaiti border to Baghdad, our vehicles were all completely dust-covered and took on a khaki, dry brushed appearance. I much prefer the look of a painstakingly finished fine scale model to the real thing!

    Also the in person gaming looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean - and after a ship has spent any time in the Gulf the parts that aren't covered in salt and dust have oil streaks in inaccessible places from the black rain - much better to model 'for inspection'!

      Delete
  3. Really enjoyed browsing the pics, thanks for taking the time to get this post up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, glad you enjoyed the eyecandy!

      Delete
  4. Marvellous models on display. How did (indeed, did) the modellers take to the games?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      Yes some great eye candy on display. We had a lot of polite interest, and a lesser amount of focussed interest on the Napoleonic games, distinctly more on the WW2 game, despite lower overall numbers on the Sunday. Next year we will definitely go with a WW2/WW3 focus...

      Delete
  5. great to see Sparker.... games on, Shows on ,and people there

    ReplyDelete