Sunday 7 May 2023

Nimitz: Destroyers off Bear Island!

Type 34A Zerstorer Z-7 Hermann Shoemann

The advent of Sam Mustafa's most excellent WW2 Naval wargaming rules NIMITZ has utterly reinvigorated my naval wargaming. This taut, simple yet historically realistic set of rules means that my poor brain can now handle solo games easily, rapidly working out solutions for both fleets in an engagement.  


Sam makes the point that pretty any scale of model warship is completely out of whack with ground scale, so that all measurements and ranges in Nimitz are taken from the centre, or middle funnel, of whatever scale models you choose to use.  Whilst my primary scale for Nimitz games will be the reasonably  sensible scale of 1/1800, I occasionally want to trot out my larger 1/1200 models for small engagements, the Battle of the River Plate, or the Denmark Strait, say...


But my inner loon has been whispering in my ear '1/700th, 1/700th, you know you want too...' But what tipped me right over the edge was the embarking on this unfeasibly large scale by the eminently practical and hard headed Yarkshire Gamer. Lets face it, Yorkshiremen ain't daft! So if its good enough for him, well...


I keep telling myself that my foray into 1/700th scale wargaming lunacy will be confined to destroyer actions - although somehow models of the Light Cruiser Konigsberg and Pocket Battleship Graf Spee now appear in my plastic mountain!


Be that as it may, this game was set up to test the hypothesis that a destroyer level action is possible on a 6 x 4 table using 1/700th models, with the ranges and speeds from Nimitz increased by 50%. (See my aide memoire at bottom). I did initially toy with doubling them, but its obvious that within a couple of moves the ships disappear over the edge of the world! 


So overall I was pleased with the outcome. Obviously Nimitz is designed for much larger games than this, so it was a quick game, but I think a game of 4-5 DDs per side would work well...


And historically, there are plenty of destroyer actions to wargame. Just off the top of my head, as well as this bit of what-if around QP-11, we have: 1st Narvik, Vella Gulf, Vella Lavella and Sagami Nada - all exclusively destroyer actions. And many more where the 'tin cans' played the primary role so the scenario can be tweaked to focus on the light forces: Tassafaronga, Kula Gulf and Kolombangara spring to mind.


And if you lose all sense of restraint, what about actions where a few DDs ganged up on a singleton BB or CA? One of the most celebrated destroyer actions in Royal Navy lore was the last destroyer action of WW2, when four destroyers of the British Pacific Fleet sank the Japanese Heavy Cruiser Haguro in the Malacca Straits. Surely with a Japanese player suitably briefed not to sail off the edge of the world that could also be done in this scale? 


One obvious advantage of naval wargaming in this scale is the relative cheapness and availability of models - I think there are just about individual model kits for every Japanese DD and CL of WW2! The USN is not so well represented, but then again do you need anything other than Fletchers? The Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy are well represented too. The only real lack, unfortunately, is the Regia Marina...


As for downsides, apart from the elephant in the room around table size, these kits have to be constructed, not just painted. But to speed things up, as you can probably make out, for this scale rather than create the usual seascape on the base, I have gone for clear acrylic bases to save a little time, which actually looks well to my eye as it brings in the terrain mat much better.


So there we have it - I have well and truly embarked (cough, cough) on yet another scale!




10 comments:

  1. This looks great! I was also inspired by the Yarkshire Gamer. His ships looked incredible! I am also a1/700 scale naval gamer. I dove in back in the 90's. I have Japanese, US, German and British ships from DE's to BB's. My Japanese ships are mainly built and painted by a master modeler who passed away and I inherited. I think he has most of their fleet completed with brass add ons. They are incredible! The US is the most difficult to find or afford with their Cruisers being the main problem. I have a 3D printer and 1/1800 files for the majority of WWII ships. I have thought of printing off and other DD's I might need and just hollow the ships out. Not sure about cruisers. I have also printed off a load of 1/2400 WWII ships since I have been buying them since the 80's. My last foray was using David Manley's WWII set in one of the Guadalcanal battles. I was the US and got thumped by my buddy with the Japanese. I'd like to try Nimitz (which I own) and see how they work. I like what I have read. I have thought about acrylic ships but was concerned about the cost. Where did you find yours? How much were they? I am in the US. I appreciate your thoughts. thanks John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John you are very kind! And yes I agree about the Yarkshire gamer's models being superb! Yes I strongly recommend trying Nimitz, I think you'll enjoy them. As you are in the US you shouldn't have any difficulty in accessing acrylic ships from XP Forge. They print a variety of designer's ships in a variety of scales from 1/1800 to at least 1/1200. Mainly Ghurkek but also a few new designers to expand their range. I've always had great service from XP, despite the postage difficulties across the Pacific!

      Delete
  2. Good to be part of the lunacy, have quite a few of the bigger "boats", (enjoyed winding up my Naval Instructor at JSPI!) but also have a 20 x 8 table. If you go big get the Revell Bismark, it can be built full hull or waterline, leaving a lower hull to use as a couple of "casualty" markers. It will be on Tales from the Wargames Shed at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick - jealous of your wargaming table! But doubt I will go so far as to get Bismarck in this scale! Look forward to your post...

      Delete
  3. In finally assembling my GHQ collection and trawling the internet for colour schemes I have been amazed at how many kits are now available in 1/700th and have been tempted to purchase a few myself so can understand the attraction. I have also been following Ken's project with great interest, and like what you're doing with yours. The clear bases work very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lawrence. Yes GHQ are excellently sculpted and engineered but alas decent assembly in that tiny scale is just beyond me! With the big boys hoping we'll see some Italian stuff come out, but other than that yes there's a lot out there!

      Delete
  4. I just bought 6 resin 1/700 US Cruisers from a gent on Etsy so I can fight battles around Guadalcanal. I already have about 70 other German, British, Japanese and IS ships built and painted. Just needed a wider variety of US Cruisers. They should be here in a week or two. Then knock them out. Just pulled out a New Orleans Trumpeter kit. I know I have some Baltimore's around here too. I'm going to run a Nimitz game on club day in July. Love the scale! I'll probably run Nimitz in 1\2400 first as I own a load of Ships for that and have good 1/1800 STL files from Ghurek to print anything else I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John good luck with this project! Would love to know how you source your resin 1/700 stuff - maybe I should check out Etsy!

      Delete
    2. This is the link to the Etsy seller. You can ask him about other ships as I did. 1/700 2 Brooklyns, 1 Pennsacola (Salt Lake City), 1 Northampton (Louisville), 1 Atlanta and 1 Astoria (San Francisco).
      I thought about enlarging Ghurek's files but don't think they'd look that great in 1/700. I may try and FDM print a Fletcher as I need some more.AxisandAlliesMinis
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/AxisandAlliesMinis?section_id=41991360

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the steer John - will investigate!

      Delete