Monday 22 January 2024

Team Yankee 12mil: Canadians at Krassolsheim!

So this week's Club night theme was scheduled as Team Yankee / Fate of A Nation, so I pulled together a scenario from Free Nations:


Daniel printed up some specific RCAF CF-104 ground attack aircraft; a bit elderly by 1985 but carrying some useful payload:


Wolfwald Heights - ideal ATGW deployment zone?




Looking NW - Krassolsheim on left, Wolfwald on the right.

Daniel leading 4 CMBG Team CHARLIE deployed well forward, right up to Phase Line ACORN (green dot line), from the outskirts of KRASSOLSHEIM, across the central copses, and up to the WOLFWALD heights.


The Soviet Tank Battalion, led by Declan, went left flanking seeking the cover of the built up area...


Whilst the Motor Rifles, my command, went right flanking to evict any ATGW teams from the wooded heights dominating the valley.


The HINDS went hunting for Canadian AD assets...


But were themselves the quarry for RCAF CF-104s - losing 4 of a 6 ship flight!


The cover the T-72s were seeking in the town proved illusory...


And the Motor Rifles also took heavy casualties at the hands of the Leopards!


After these early losses, Declan and I took stock...


And decided to press on regardless...


After all, we'd managed to inflict a few casualties on the Canadians ourselves...


Daniel revealed his ambush of 4 Leopard 1Cs in the village, but Declan succeeded in clearing it regardless...


And pressed on for the near objective on the Soviet left flank...


On our right flank I was making slow progress up the wooded hillsides but I hope I succeeded in taking some of the attention away from Declan's T-72s...


In a missile rich environment its a good Soviet tactic to rush in and get up close and personal - the Canadian ATGWs were struggling with minimum range, and their arty and air were having DANGER CLOSE issues!


...unfortunately for us this didn't apply to the CF-104 cannons!


In the last turn of the game our T-72s claiming the objective were riddled with cannon hits into their side armour and destroyed or abandoned...Game Over - well done Daniel!


11 comments:

  1. Your posts are always beautifully presented and this is a big shot in the arm for the 12mm scene. It takes me right back several decades ago, when I discovered a local club. I turned up and to encourage me, they gave me a company of T-62’s on the flank, which I treated as cavalry at the Charge of the Light Brigade …. It was a disaster and I could see the unspoken disappointment in my fellow team mates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! Well, I sympathise - when in Rome, do as the Romans do...

      Delete
  2. Outstanding report, as always. Very enjoyable and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a visual treat. Good looking game, down to the wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very kind, and yes it could have gone either way...

      Delete
  4. Superb game as always and lovely to see the smaller scales getting more of an outing at the clubQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve yes I'm glad to say 12mil is now getting a small following!

      Delete
  5. Great AAR. That's a lot of troops on the table....the extra space from the 12mm scale make it look less like a crowded parking lot than normal for FOW games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Yes absolutely agree - I hate 'tank car parks' so this aspect is a big win for this scale in my book...

      Delete