Friday, 25 September 2026

Bussaco

My plan seemed straightforward yet flexible:


But then my plan made contact with the enemy:


Daniel not only decided to garrison St Antonio, he also deployed his cavalry well forward, down off the ridge. Not your typical Wellingtonian deployment!


He even had an entire infantry brigade down in the valley, supporting the garrison:


Oh well - fight fire with fire!


I slightly outnumbered his heavies - but the British are very well mounted, with a melee of 6 against my nag's 5...


So it was pretty much an even fight...


Honours were even after the first clash:


Meanwhile the single brigade attacking the village somehow became an entire division...


We saw off the Scots Greys...


But then the Royal Dragoons counterattacked...


After much charging and counter charging I was left with one regiment out of four!


But they tried to wipe out the remnants of the British heavies - a charge too far!


Meanwhile the village had fallen...


But my attack on the ridge was now well behind schedule, held up not only by the British heavy but the Light Brigade on the far flank too!


As twilight descended I took stock - I had defeated two British brigades but Daniel had defeated five of mine, and I had not even begun to threaten the ridge. The key to Portugal remained in Allied hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment