Friday 5 July 2024

Clash of Steel: The Battle for Minsk


For what was hoped to be a large, swirling tank clash of armoured giants, the table was enlarged to an 8 x 6, and set out to look like rural Byelrussia - Belarus - July 1944. 


The random scenario was Flanking Move, with the armies set up in opposite corners. Using Clash of Steel rules enabled us to field unfeasibly large formations of powerful beasts - in Flames of War a 4-ship Tiger II platoon would eat up most of 100 points, but in CoS they are but a morsel!


Richard took command of the 5th Panzers, I the 5th GTA. The action was fast and furious from the outset. Even though I had every Russian heavy AFV known to man in my menagerie, I would be needing side shots to make it count!


Accordingly I despatched half my force toward the far objective, hoping to work a deep flank anvil attack.


At this stage I was picking up 3VPs for my undisputed ownership of the far objective. But Richard set up interference to my cunning plan right from the outset!


Whilst the IS-2s distracted the Tigers with all but hopeless frontal charge...


The SU-100s on the flank managed to kill a King Tiger with a shot penetrating the side armour - just!


Leaving the IS-2s to pay the price. Still, this objective was contested, for now, so we were only picking up a single VP each...


Richard now picked up points for this undisputed objective, which was briefly worth double points (my tactical card play quickly nixed that!). And as the Tigers continued to whittle away at my force,  he was also now picking up points for wiping out entire platoons! 


Even the JagdPanzer IVs were getting in on the act - I wasn't having that! I quickly knocked one out and the other then failed his last stand morale check. Two could play the annihilating units points game!


My deep outflanking thrust, a la Tuchachevsky's Deep Battle theory, may have looked good, but by the time the hammer got into place the anvil had been wiped out, so to speak. Rather than lose my final company, we called it a day. Score 27-17 to Richard!


I was left with profound respect for the Tankers of the Red Army who somehow overcame the Tigers of Minsk. With an enjoyable and exciting game, we agreed that Clash of Steel can be used to recreate late war armour heavy battles as well as Op UNTHINKABLE in 1948.

6 comments:

  1. Ralph, very nicely presented as always. I really enjoy your 12mm 1/144 reports and always read at least once even if not commenting.

    If you don’t already know them can I draw your attention to Anschluss Wargames, they are doing some really lovely pieces in resin, but at the moment are choosing to do the less widely available ones. I am just waiting on some Hetzers. I have their SU 122 and jt is a very clean and well detailed 1 piece vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your supportive comments Norm! I was aware of the Anschluss range but will take a closer look following your recommendation. Good to know they are concentrating on lesser known subjects, and yes Hetzers are useful for the late war Volksgrenadier divisions I want to field...

      Delete
  2. Another great game there and a good idea to port the rules back a few years, which seem to have worked well:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Steve, very kind. Yes it does work well for armour heavy battles in the late war period, so will revisit!

      Delete
  3. Lots if big tanks, must have felt like hammer and tongs at times.

    ReplyDelete